Thursday, August 2, 2018

Batman #48-49

THE BEST MAN pts I & II




Written by Tom King
Penciled by Mikel Janin
Covers by Mikel Janin
Published June 6 and June 20, 2018
 
   The Joker summarily executes a wedding party at a church to get Batman's attention and eventually it works. He moves from a variety of hostages, from Batman himself all the way to the Joker himself. Finally he asks Batman to pray with him, asking if he can be the best man at the upcoming wedding when a bomb goes off in the cross.

Sure. Pray with the Joker. Sounds legit.

   Batman lies unconscious as it falls upon his fiance Catwoman to save him. She swings in and between familiar conversation, a firefight ensues. She eventually nips the Jokers throat but is gutshot in the process. They lie in the rubble together, talking like old friends while both holding their wounds.



A variety of subjects such as Harvey Dent, Penguin, and the Riddler fill the air while Joker tries to figure out a way to reload his gun while holding the bleeding artery closed.

Don't let go.

   They finally talk about Batman, and seeing as it's now or never, the bleeding joker loads his pistol as the blood pours from his neck. Before he can fire though, he passes out. The issue wraps with Batman waking up and speaking off-page. A final quip about a joke he didn't get sends Selina into uproarious laughter, and with that, these two issues and brief story arc comes to a close.

I mean, it's not THAT funny.

   This review is kind of bittersweet for me, because it's the second to last DC book(s) I'll be reviewing for the near future. With the company dropping their complimentary digital codes, it adds too many steps to be able to include artwork with my videos. I'll be back as soon as they come around, which I'm certain will be any day now, but for the time being I'll be adding more Marvel books to my pull list. As far as this book goes, well it's still business as usual. Tom King is at the top of the sales lists for a reason - he's simply the best. If I get the urge, I might have to break my self imposed DC ban just to have this series included. It's too good. This one was no exception... I give it a 10/10.



If you like this review, check out my video of it HERE

You can also buy my physical copies of these books HERE and HERE.

Like comics? Check out my ebay wares HERE

Follow me at facebooktwitter, or instagram as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment