Saturday, October 28, 2017

Batman #32

THE WAR OF JOKES AND RIDDLES, finale.




Written by Tom King
Penciled by Mikel Janin
Cover by Mikel Janin
Published Oct 4, 2017

   Bruce Wayne gets emotional while Catwoman Selina Kyle comforts him. Scores of people were killed in the War of Jokes and Riddles. Finally we're about to see how it ended. Batman, Riddler, and Joker slug it out over the next 5 pages, with eventually the Riddler begging for mercy. He then asks Batman if the Joker is laughing.
Q: Well, is he?!
A: I dunno... Sorta.

   It all should have been enough. Wage a war, only to lose. And all because of Kite Man?! That's funny! And now the Joker can't laugh?! It's during this argument that Batman finally cracks. Kite Man's son was just used as a pawn, killed just to set him up. The thought is more than Batman can take. He picks up the knife and thrusts it out... only to stab the Joker through the hand.
I mean, I guess it's kind of funny. Not really that much though.

   Now That! That's funny, he says. And he erupts into laughter. Years later, when asked why the Joker saved him, he replied "When you know the difference between a joke and a riddle, you'll understand...". Today, Bruce feels like he's almost the same as the Joker and Riddler. What separates him from the bad guys? He's not noble. Cat tells him who cares what the difference between a joke and a riddle is. There's no real answer.
   The issue wraps with Catwoman asking Batman to propose to her again. This time, just ask. He does so. With tears in her eyes, she accepts. And Finally.. FINALLY.. the war of jokes and riddles is concluded.
Ok Batman. I get it.


   You know, I'm starting to figure out that DC loves graphic novels and collected editions more than the actual comics. Everything has to be epic or else I guess they feel like they're just spinning their tires. This was a good story arc. It drug on too long but I guess in the end, more pages means a bigger price of the hardback coffee table version.  All in all, I definitely think it was worth the read. I give this final issue a 9/10.



If you like this review, check out my video of it HERE.

You can also buy my physical copy of this book HERE.

Like comics? Check out my ebay wares HERE

Follow me at facebooktwitter, or instagram as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment