Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Amazing Spider Man #4-7

Amazing Spider Man 4-7 , Stan Lee/Steve Ditko, Sept -Dec, 1963.
   #4 intros the Sandman, who amazingly finally gets caught by Spiderman while demanding a high school teacher allow him to sit in to earn a degree. If it were not for the fact that the term "panty waste" was used, maybe that would be the funniest thing. But alas.
   #5 brings Dr. Doom and the Fantastic Four into the foray again. I get the feeling that FF was pretty huge then. Similar to the way Marvel puts out ten million X-titles and crossovers to decimate you financially, I suppose Stan Lee figured out the basics long ago. Also, the kids in this school are the meanest sons of bitches I've ever seen. It's surprising Pete didn't pull a Columbine on these little bastards.. Shit!
   #6 introduces the Lizard, in addition to continuing to highlight J.Jonah's constant berating. Something else I noticed is that Aunt May has the ability to be keenly aware of breaking news in other regions. She may not know what all is going down in New York, but she sure as hell knows what's going on down in Florida.
   #7 is the return of a surprisingly so-called favorite, The Vulture. Oddly enough, I don't remember this guy too much from my early childhood and adventures on SpiderMandom, so obviously between the 60's and the early 90's, I guess Marvel somehow did away with him. Either way, he was defeated. The best panel in the comic is below.
 

   Overall, 1963 was a pretty good year for Peter Parker. He became Spider Man, he defeated various hoods, The Vulture twice, The Sandman, Dr. Octopus, Dr. Doom, and The Lizard. I also noted that several times in the book, Stan Lee pats himself on the back and tells the audience that because this is a huuuuuuge title for Marvel, and because the people demand it, that blah blah blah. Something that kind of sticks out at me is the way he wrote this title is a little infuriating. Like he just wrote it as he went along. One panel may have SM say "Blast! If only I had my camera, I could take pictures of this for the Bugle" and then the next panel, he pulls up his shirt and goes "Good thing I tucked away my super micro-emergency camera for these occasions..." or something like that. Look, I know - I can't nail the guy too hard. It was 50 years ago. But... you know what? Yes I can. Because if I didn't write about that, this blog will probably get shittier than it is already.

No comments:

Post a Comment